Best Embroidery Sewing Machine for Beginners (2020)
In search of the best embroidery sewing machine for beginners?
If you are then you are in luck!
We’ve put together a great list of embroidery machines for beginners and some even advanced users will find helpful with their sewing projects.
Let’s get into the post…
Features of the Best Embroidery Sewing Machines for Beginners
Singer, on the other hand, boasts of coming up with the first zig zag machine. It’s famous for creating models designed for specific needs.
The best embroidery machine for beginners is one that is:
- Easy to set up (you don’t want to spend all day trying to setup a sewing machine…right?)
- Has a few simple buttons to press
- Has a large number of automatic functions
- Features an assortment of embroidery designs that you can add to your sewing projects
- You can easily use with software and embroidery programs to add to your sewing machine
Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Embroidery Sewing Machine (With Prices and Features)
Reviewing our best embroidery sewing machine for beginners, here are our top five picks with prices for each:[table id=2 /]
#1: Brother PE800
The Brother PE800 is probably the best embroidery sewing machine for beginners. To start with, it does not require you to spend hours reading the manual before you start.
This embroidery sewing machine is a computerized embroidery machine that offers a 5inch*7inch hoop size, and for which, according to many of its users, is easy to set up.
Some additional features of this machine include:
- It allows downloading of a variety of embroidery designs. Thus, you can load up designs and start stitching. In addition to the downloaded embroidery designs, it has 138 inbuilt embroidery designs.
- The designs are mainly composed of florals, quilt and scrollwork patterns. The machine also contains an automatic threader, making it easier for beginners.
- You can design your stitches, increase or decrease the size of your designs, mirror image and rotate. All of this are supported by a backlit LCD which also makes it easy to view complex designs.
With all its features, the Brother PE800 5inch 7 inch Embroidery-only machine does not have sewing stitches. This model by Brother is a most preferable choice for people on budget, this is after factoring in extra software and additional hoops.
#2: Singer SE300 (Legacy Sewing Machine)
This model of the Singer contains a lot of inbuilt features which makes it really good for beginners.
The Singer Legacy SE300 Embroidery Machine basically brings a bigger embroidery area of 10 inches by 6inches, with an option of going up to 20inches by 12inches by multi-hooping.
Some additional great features of this machine include:
- The machine is fitted with swiftsmart threading system which contains an automatic needle threader which makes threading the machine easy.
- It features more than 200 embroidery designs, 6 different alphabet options and 250 built-in stitches
- The machine is equipped with needle up and down area for quilting and embroidery.
- It also contains the Drop and sew bobbin system that allows you to load or change bobbins without needing you to pick up the bobbin thread and without taking up too much time.
- Plus, after purchasing this machine you can register to get access to an online sewing machine class!
With a maximum of 700 embroidery stitches per minute, it allows faster completion of sewing projects.
And by the very fact that computerized features help in your sewing jobs, which at times are complicated, it serves to be among the best embroidery sewing machine for beginners.
#3: Brother SE600
This machine cannot be left out of the best embroidery sewing machine for beginners list.
With its library of embroidery designs which include 70 embroidery design for embellishment, and approximately 5 fonts, and also with its ability for a computer connection to the internet where one can get a huge amount of new designs, it offers the ideal starts pack.
The Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing machine comes with an embroidery area size of 4inches by 4 inches.An added feature to this machine is an embroidery integration ability. One can purchase different new design that can be downloaded directly to the SE600.
Some additional great features of this machine are that:
- With the LCD a sensitive touchscreen, the Stitch width and length can be chosen with a thread option for tight stitches.The Brother SE600 is fitted with 8 Snap-on presser feet.
- The zigzag foot has a levelling foot, which basically is used with thick seams. And if that is not enough, it comes with a twin needle sewing for parallel stitches.
- The machine features more than 103 built in sewing stitches
- This machine allows creativity to be integrated with technology, providing beginners with an excellent experience.
#4: Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine
This machine takes a position among the best embroidery machines for beginners. It turns out to be affordable and easy to learn embroidery machine.
The brother PE535 has embroidery and monogram plus a USB port as well.
It comes with 98 sewing stitch functions and 67 sewing stitches, 120 frame pattern combination, 9 built in lettering fonts and 80 decorative embroidery designs. It also possesses inbuilt embroidery thread cutter and a high-end needle system.
This is a powerful embroidery sewing machine which can sew at approximately 710 stitches per minute. It can also embroider at 400 stitches per minute.
What we love is that:
- With its LCD display touch screen and computer connectivity, it serves to be a modern machine. It’s compatible with iBroidery, allowing you to import designs directly via your computer.
- The length of some of the stitches can be adjusted up to 5mm, while the width is adjustable to 7mm, topped by its needle-stop position control. The auto thread cutter acts as an added advantage for beginners.
- This machine supports 4inch by 4inch embroidery hoop, and around 7 specialty sewing feet. This machine is splendid for beginners as well as advanced seamstresses.
#5: Brother PE550D Embroidery Machine
The Brother PE550D comes with 4inch by 4inch embroidery field and a 5inch by 12inch multi-position embroidery hoop. It includes 125 built-in embroidery designs (including 45 disney designs) and 9 embroidery lettering fonts.
The designs and editing options can be viewed on the back-lit LCD.
Included in the embroidery designs are the floral scrollwork and quilt designs where you can also use the design editing features that allow mirror image, rotating and increasing or decreasing the design size.
The machine has 184 built-in sewing stitches, with 10 buttonhole styles and also applies the sideways sewing feature for cylindrical sewing.
With its inbuilt memory and USB connectivity, one can import designs and store them in the memory, for future use.
DIY Embroidery Ideas with Sewing Machines: 10 Creative Ways to Use Your Machine!
So… you’ve decided to get an embroidery sewing machine and now youre ready to start working on some fun projects but you’re probably not sure what to create — right?
Don’t fret friends…we’ve got you covered!
To get your creative juices flowing, we’ve put together a list of diy embroidery ideas and sewing projects that you can do with your sewing machine:
#1. Embroidered Towels
Were sure that you’ve probably ran across some beautiful towels from stores like JCPenney and other specialty stores that have embroidered letters on them.
Well friends, heres some good news:
Instead of buying embroidered towels from JCPenney’s and other stores, you can DIY them on your own with your sewing machine. Check out the embroidered towels below that Lindsey from the Cottage Momma created:
These towels turned out beautiful! This is a wonderful gift idea and even an example of a sewing project that you can sell as a specialty item.
Have some old denim that you want to spice up with embroidery? Or, are you interested in perhaps selling custom embroidered denim?
Either way, these are excellent projects that you can create with a great sewing machine.
Take for example this super cute embroidered denim jacket below:
This is an example of a project that you can easily create with an embroidery sewing machine – in no time!
#3: Tote Bags
Who doesnt love a cute tote bag?
They can come in handy when you are shopping, heading out to school, or even work. Well friends, one of the coolest ways to add some charm and style to a plain tote bag is to add some embroidery to them.
The DIY embroidered tote bag displayed above from Beth Colletti is a perfect example of a cute design that you can add to a tote bag of your choice to make it more stylish.
Who doesnt love wearing t-shirts?
Well friends, much like the embroidered tote bag displayed above, t-shirts are another form of clothing that you can dress up and add some pizazz to with embroidered designs.
Were loving this t-shirt embroidery tutorial and design that Lisa Griffith put together. Again, this is an excellent idea that any beginner or advanced sewist can do.
Do you love wearing hats? Aren’t they super handy (on a good and bad hair day).
Well heres the great news:
You can totally turn a ho-hum hat that you’ve purchased into a cute much like the one Stephanie from Swoodson Says created:
We love the look and feel of this hat guys! This is an example of an easy project that you can create with an embroidery sewing machine.
Here’s the best part:
The embroidery machines that we featured in this post have patterns and designs embedded in them that you can access and easily add to your hats.
#6: Baby Bibs
One of the easiest embroidery projects that you can create is am embroidered baby bib. In fact, the embroidered baby bib displayed below was created by Maureen Wilson via AllFreeSewing.com.
Lets face it:
Most sweatshirts are plain and down right boring. Adding a custom embroidered design is a great way to ramp up your sweatshirt to make to stand out.
Take for example these cute sweatshirts featured here. These turned out really cute and are great examples of how you can spice up a sweatshirts design.
#8: Custom Labels for Quilts
Looking for a way to brand your quilts? Then look no further!
One great way to do this is to add a custom label on your quilt is via an embroidered custom label like the ones shown below:
This is an absolutely beautiful DIY project that you can create with your sewing machine. Its an even excellent idea for branding quilts.
Do you know someone that likes to wear handkerchiefs? Or perhaps you have a penchant for wearing them. Either way, embroidered handkerchiefs can make the perfect gift and DIY project for sewing enthusiasts.
Some of the most popular types of embroidered patterns and designs that you can add to handerchiefs include flowers, monograms, lace edges and also initials.
#10: Throw Pillows
Who doesnt love a good throw pillow? Throw pillows are one of the most popular types of DIY sewing projects that you can do with a sewing machine like a PRO!
If you’re looking for ways to spice up throw pillows, adding a an embroidered design to them is a fantastic idea.
To get started with adding embroidered designs to throw pillows, we recommend checking out this great tutorial from Faith at DIYs.com.
This wraps up our review of the best embroidery sewing machines for beginners and seasoned sewing enthusisasts. In case your looking for more reviews of great embroidery machines, you can check them out right here.